Saturday, August 23, 2014

Spotted Bowerbird Avenue-Bower


Just discovered a avenue-bower of, what I believe is, a Spotted Bowerbird (Chlamydera maculata).  Its just beside the path way to a BBQ area near my Unit.  At first I thought it was just a pile of rubbish but a closer inspection reveals a really nice bower that has obviously been well tended.  Popped out this morning to have another look and I believe I saw a couple of Spotted Bowerbirds in a tree near-bye.  Hope I didn't disturb them!


Well camouflaged, individual Spotted Bowerbirds are sometimes quite difficult to see among the vegetation. They are generally active, and though often shy, they can be quite tame near human habitation. Their presence may be indicated by their distinctive avenue-bower, which is typically built under a shrub and is often decorated with whitish, green, red or shiny objects, including bones, snail shells and berries, often including metallic and glass objects. Unlike some other species, there appears to be no preference for a particular colour when it comes to choosing these decorative objects.

More here:  http://www.graemechapman.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment